Urban Outfitters ‘Silver Holo’ (and comparisons)

UO Silver Holo (opener)

Nothing gives me a bigger rush, than finding something unique when I least expect it – unless that said item also happens to come at a ridiculously discounted price, as was the case while doing some [more] Christmas shopping at Urban Outfitters this past weekend and how I happened to spot the much talked-about ‘Silver Holo’. I swear that I wasn’t even looking for nail polish, but there it was … one lonely bottle (along with ‘Scorcher’, a sliver with multi-coloured glitter that was also the last of its kind, but that’s for another post). I may, or may not have broken out into a spontaneous happy dance …

Urban Outfitters Silver Holo – (CAD $12.00 discounted to $7.00 15 ml/0.5 fl. oz) a vivid and pristine silver prismatic/holographic lacquer in a formula with absolutely perfect density – flowing neither too thick nor thin – able to provide amazing coverage by even the first coat, and displaying a strong linear pattern with the silvery-blue tones dominating. Applying in a self levelling way and leaving behind a glossy finish, I was surprised by how quickly it dried as well. Bonus: one of the best brushes I’ve come across – totally unexpected. Coats applied: 2 – no top coat.

UO Silver Holo

Urban Outfitters – Silver Holo

UO Silver Holo swatch 2

Urban Outfitters – Silver Holo

UO Silver Holo swatch 3

Urban Outfitters – Silver Holo

UO Silver Holo vs Gosh & GG

Naturally, I needed to know how UO ‘Silver Holo’ compared to the other 2 similar polishes in my collection, GOSH ‘#549 Holographic Hero’ previously reviewed here, and Glitter Gal ‘Silver 3D/Holo’ previously reviewed here):

• index finger: GOSH ‘Holographic Hero’ – thinner formula, holographic effect more scattered looking at 1st coat, greyer based, the dullest natural finish of the three, initial clouding of shade when top coat applied (clears up quickly, however)
  • middle & ring fingers: Urban Outfitters ‘Silver Holo’
  • pinkie: Glitter Gal ‘Silver 3D/Holo’ – the sheerest formula, but the glossiest natural finish of the three, holographic particles seem less dense than the others with the pink/orange tones dominating, unaffected by the addition of top coat

UO Silver Holo & comps swatch

Urban Outfitters – Silver Holo & comparisons, no top coat

UO Silver Holo & comps swatch 2

Urban Outfitters – Silver Holo & Comparisons with top coat

Final thoughts: For those of you who know me, you’re aware that I have a rather extensive CHANEL lacquer collection and that I have been collecting them for over 25 years now, but there are 2 shades that slipped through my radar; one is ‘Jade’, and the other is ‘Holographic’. While I’m not that crushed about the former (ok, I am but that’s how it goes sometimes …), I believe I may have fulfilled the longing for the latter with Urban Outfitter’s ‘Silver Holo’. It’s THAT impressive. This varnish is everything I wanted a holographic shade to be – and then some, and considering the price, makes it the deal of 2012 for me. If you have access to an UO store, then this is so worth hunting down … trust me!

UO Silver Holo (closer)

*Disclaimer: some product samples provided by the company/PR for my unbiased consideration

40 Responses to Urban Outfitters ‘Silver Holo’ (and comparisons)

1. this color is sick! i love it :D
    btw im just wondering. if the polishes are given by the company, just how many polish u have right now? haha

It’s pretty awesome, I agree! As to my personal collection, I don’t have an exact number, but I believe it’s in the 4 digit range by now! ;)

2. I got chanel Holo for my birthday, im dying to compare these now! I just ordered this one from UO! Happy Holidays Everyone!

Wow, Stacy — I’m so jealous, lol! CHANEL Holo is still on my radar :) Enjoy your UO version – it’s pretty stunning as well!

Happy Holidays & A Very Merry Christmas to you!

This looks like it is completely electrified! I love it. I’ve told you before, I still need a good silver holo, and this seems like the way to go. UO is so close to me- I must go this week!

4. Mara says:

First of all, I think Chanel should send you NOW a bottle of Jade and Holographic, you’re their most loyal costumer!
    I could watch 1,000 swatches and I would never get tired of holos! This one is amazing!
    I didin’t buy it because when I went to UO they were $10 (lol I know, I was cheap haha), and I had bought the Color Clubs Halo Hues…. but if they’re on sale, I need to come back!!!
    Beautiful pictures! And YAY for affordable and easy to find holos!

LOL…thanks for the support, Mara and I sure hope that CHANEL is listening! :) So glad you liked the pictures, and yes….you should definitely pick this one up if you get the chance, although I’ve heard good things about the Color Club holos too!

5. Pretty! I’m not sure I have a holo actually Big Sis-do I? :P

Ummmm? I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen you sport one on the blog, but I’d have to comb through your stash to be sure! Wish we lived closer, Lil Sis — think of our play dates and what fun we’d have, lol!

Hmmm. This is tres pretty and now I’m contemplating braving a very very popular mall on Wednesday evening–less than a week before Christmas–in order to check out the UO there and see if they have it. If I fail to report back, know that I’ve been lost in the hunt for beautiful nail polish and mourn appropriately!

Lol…if you fail to report back, Julia, then I may just have to alert the National Guard to organize a rescue! Wishing you a successful expedition!

• Julia says:

I went! I got it! It took me 25 minutes to drive less than 2 miles from where I was to the mall but I made it! And when I did they had an absolute FLEET of Silver Holos! So I picked up two (hey, at 2 for $8, why be frugal), a really pretty blue-based flakie called “Mystic”, and the Green Holo, which they only had one of. They didn’t have any Pink Holos but that didn’t really put a damper on my good time :).

WOW!! A “fleet”…lol! Happy for your haul, Julia and enjoy these pretties!

Wow! That is really beautiful! You know what, I would love to see where you keep all this stuff! I mean, 25 years of Chanel plus just the stuff I’ve seen since I’ve been following you. Must be massive!

You’re so right, Linda – what you folks see here on the blog is literally the tip of the iceberg; while it’s true that my polish collection is *cough cough* a tad excessive, there’s all the other cosmetics I have that need to be considered as well. As to my storage, up until now it’s been basically all over the place & wherever I can steal some space, but that’s all about to change: very, very soon, I’ll be showing you all my new storage system that I’m in the process of finalizing! It’s pretty awesome, I can tell you that!

8. Holos just aren’t my thing but these pictures are so cool! They look so surreal. @_____@

And if I ever see CHANEL Holographic, you bet I’ll snag it for you!

Awwww….Liz, giant bear-crushing hug for that! Apparently the CHANEL Holographic was released with the matching base coat, and for the life of me, I don’t know why I don’t own the set; ME, the CHANEL lacquer HOARDER! I was either hibernating when it was released or somewhere without any kind of social media access to not have heard of it *smacks head*…

9. olivia says:

Wow! They are all gorgeous and different enough to have them all!

10. Amanda Y. says:

This is great! After your GOSH holo review, I was looking for a bottle online and it was way out of my budget. But there is an UO right by my house and I can totally afford this. I think I even like it more than the GOSH lacquer. I’m so excited I might even stop there on my way home. Eeee!!! :D

YAY for liking something even more AND finding it at a better price! Hope you pick it up!

• Amanda says:

I was able to get it from the Urban Outfitters in my neighborhood – and their polishes were on sale at $8 US for two (normally $10 US). That’s such a great deal, I might go back and get another silver holo or two. Anyone in Chicago reading this, I went to the store on Milwaukee Ave. In Wicker Park.

I painted my nails as soon as I got home and I am seriously amazed. This polish is awesome! I never would have found it without your post – thanks, Eugenia!

How fabulous, Amanda! I so love it when I can help my readers out in some way and I’m glad my post led you this beauty! What a crazy deal, right? I sure hope other brands are taking notice! Enjoy your new beauty!

Holy smokes, that is the most intense silver holo I’ve ever seen! Such a strong shift!

12. winspearean says:

You make me want to buy EVERYTHING you write about. I just know I’m going to head over to UO tomorrow, a store I’ve never been to in my life, just to look for this, LOL! I’m working on collecting all of the A England shades and have specifically asked for a GC to The Bay for Christmas so I can splurge on a few Chanel polishes. :-)

LOL & thanks for the kind words! UO is an eclectic store and while I believe it primarily caters to the younger crown (read that as in under 25!), you never know what goodies you might stumble upon (like this polish!). Anthropologie is UO older sister and has amazing things to buy too — well worth checking out. As to the a-england shades, if I didn’t already own them all, I would be collecting them too — I love everything about them! Your idea of GC for Chanel-splurges (or others) is an excellent one … enjoy!

13. OMG! Think I just said that out loud when scrolling trough my post feeds. When I saw the first bottle shot I began clicking like crazy (I am, I know). I LOVE this :) Need to haveeeee…

14. WOW! I can’t believe how holo that is! :O

15. Sandi says:

Wow that’s a really good holo polish!! If I didn’t have a silver holo already, I’d go and get the UO one!