Nicole by OPI – New Spring 2013 shades

NOPI Spring 2013 opener

The four new Spring 2013 shades from Nicole by OPI, are an eclectic mix of colours and finishes – but one thing they all have in common, is their amazing formula. Looking at them side by side, I can’t help but think that each shade represents one of the 4 seasons; not your typical springtime grouping, but I like it just the same – not having any hard & fast rules in the world of nail varnish, is always welcome.

NOPI spring 2013

Nicole by OPI – Spring 2013

Still into Pink – an ultra pigmented hot pink hue with finely ground silvery shimmer, that sits just this side of neon. While the formula is somewhat on the thick side, application is nonetheless super easy and completely self-levelling. The finish was unexpectedly matte – and I loved that little twist, although I did swatch it with top coat as well. Coats applied: 2

NOPI Still into Pink swatch

Nicole by OPI – Still into Pink

NOPI Still into Pink swatch 2

Nicole by OPI – Still into Pink

NOPI Still into Pink & tc swatch

Nicole by OPI – Still into Pink (with top coat)

NOPI Still into Pink & tc swatch 2

Nicole by OPI – Still into Pink (with top coat)

Please Red-cycle – a highly colour saturated maraschino red crème in a smoothly applying formula and excellent flow, that finishes with the high-gloss look of a jelly. Bonus: no staining upon removal. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

NOPI Please Red-cycle swatch

Nicole by OPI – Please Red-cycle

NOPI Please Red-cycle swatch 2

Nicole by OPI – Please Red-cycle

Plum to your Senses! – an intense purple shade in a jelly-esque formula, filled with violet and blue micro-shimmer that while not too highly visible, still adds a unique depth. Very colour saturated and with a glossy shine at the finish, there was also absolutely no staining upon removal. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

NOPI Plum to your Senses! swatch

Nicole by OPI – Plum to your Senses!

NOPI Plum to your Senses! swatch 2

Nicole by OPI – Plum to your Senses!

NOPI Plum to your Senses! swatch flash

Nicole by OPI – Plum to your Senses! (with flash)

Totally in the Dark – a quasi-sheer & hybrid crème/jelly charcoal hue filled with ultra fine silvery shimmer, although I also spotted some pink and blue tones as well. Silky application, a beautiful natural shine, and totally smooth to the touch, there’s a wickedly sexy gunmetal look to this shade, which I absolutely LOVE! Bonus: completely non-staining upon removal, although the fine shimmery bits may migrate. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

NOPI Totally in the Dark swatch

Nicole by OPI – Totally in the Dark

NOPI Totally in the Dark swatch 2

Nicole by OPI – Totally in the Dark

NOPI Totally in the Dark swatch flash

Nicole by OPI – Totally in the Dark (with flash)

Final thoughts: I must confess that I wasn’t sure what to think of these four new Spring 2013 hues, but I definitely did not expect to be totally bowled over. Each shade has a perfect formula – application, colour pigmentation, and a relatively quick drying finish. I’m not usually one for vivid pink colours, but the matte finish with the embedded silver shimmer of ‘Still into Pink’, has won me over to the bright side, while the slightly sinister look of ‘Totally in the Dark’ is a must-have, especially if you love black lacquers like I do. All in all, an impressive little bunch and well worth checking out (still not a fan of the oddly shaped bottle, though).

Available for $7.99 at select Walmart, Target, CVS, Rite Aid, Ulta, Kmart, Kroger, H-E-B, Duane Reade, and Meijer locations in the US, as $10.99 at select Shopper’s Drug Mart/Pharmaprix, Walmart Canada, Jean Coutu, Loblaw, and London Drug.

NOPI Spring 2013 closer

24 Responses to Nicole by OPI – New Spring 2013 shades

1. Beautiful swatching – I never would have given the pink a second glance. How many pinks can you have, anyway? Now that I see it dries matte, I’m all over it. But the two dark colors got me…I love my darks, especially with a shimmer.

I was surprised by the finish on the pink shade as well – very unique! As to the darks, I really do love a brooding colour & these fit the bill!

Fussy gal that I am, you know what I’m going to say – so maybe I’ll just skip it :P Great swatches and each of these look excellent on you my dear!

3. alliejxoxo says:

They’re all so beautiful! I want them all but I’m not sure if they’re available in the UK :(

As I’m based in Canada, I’m not sure which e-tailer stocks them in the UK – perhaps one of my readers can weigh in & point you in the right direction!

4. I love totally in the dark and plum to your senses !
    Amazing colours <3

Another collection I didn’t think I’d like by the bottle shots and then really liked! I’d go with the top coat on the pink, though. Just not much for matte, I like shine! Thanks for the awesome post!

My pleasure, Linda! The pink shade is lovely, no matter which way you’d choose to wear it – top coat certainly enhances every single aspect of it, that’s for sure!

6. Nailderella says:

I love the pink one!
    and the 2 darker shades look so beautiful~

7. Deborah says:

LOVE the finish on the pink one, and your swatches are gorgeous :).

8. Rachael says:

I am in love with Totally in the Dark! I’ve recently been hunting for a black lacquer with silver shimmer and this just seems like the perfect buy! Thanks for the review :)

You’re welcome, Rachael! I have a few other blacks/charcoals with silvery shimmer, but I find that Totally in the Dark combines the perfect ration of shimmer to colour – love it!

9. Danny says:

Totally in the Dark is pretty. The rest is nothing special for me!

10. glittersnapdragon says:

Love the colours….but they don’t look very springy to me…..
    I love Plum to your senses a lot! It is too bad they didn’t think of a twist for Please Red-cycle, some glassflecks or a little duo chrome….a dash of hot pink glitter…you know, something ;-)

The beauty of them not fitting into a preconceived category, is that they become timeless colours! As to the red, I swear that at times I see a hot pink edge to it, but the best part is the formula application AND the fact that it’s non-staining!

Pretty set! I really like everything except for the red (nothing wrong with it, just, you know, lots of similar colors in my stash). The unexpected matte pink is a fun twist. I used to have a prejudice against Nicole because of the stupidly shaped bottle, but the brand has become SO widely available (in beauty shops, supermarkets, drugstores, Target–it’s in just as many places as Essie) that I am more likely to give their polishes a shot. I haven’t seen these out in the wild yet, though.

I had a mad moment in the drugstore earlier this week and walked away with 8 new friends. They had Essie on clearance AND the new Essie collection! I wanted to buy all of them, but I could only push the pocketbook so far in one trip and restrained myself to just Maximillian Strasse-her. I also picked up Head Mistress on clearance–I love getting reds on sale, it allows me to pretend I am being “reasonable” in adding to my collection, ha!

I know…the bottle shape is so not aesthetically pleasing, but I guess it’s ergonomically designed to fit into the hand more comfortably. Glad you scored 8 new beauties to play with and yes, getting reds on sale does count as justification for the expenditure, lol!

12. Dovey says:

Hi Eugenia!

The matte finish is pretty surprising on Still into Pink…. I think my favorite of these would be Totally in the Dark though, it looks like a starry sky!

Hey Dovey!

I seriously never expected it to finish matte – with embedded silver shimmer, no less! I couldn’t stop looking at Totally in the Dark….it almost moves with the light – love it! Your description is spot on!