Beauty at the 2013 Oscars

OscarsLogoABC

For me, the red carpet at The Oscars, hails as the nexus of all things beauty – and even though I may not have the patience to sit through an entire awards show, I am literally glued to my screen when the celebrities start appearing. The recurring theme for this year, can be summed up in one word: elegance – harking back to an earlier era, where men looked dashingly handsome in their black tuxes and women shone like jewels in their sumptuous gowns.

As far as beauty goes, there were no major surprises; nail shades for the most part were subdued, makeup looks were refined, and hair styles polished – all the better to showcase the elaborately beautiful gowns. I actually loved the fact that everything meshed so beautifully and that the sophisticated tone of the show stayed true – The Oscars, in my opinion, is not the venue for outrageousness in any way, shape or form. The “trend buckers” came from expected sources (Helena Bonham Carter, Kelly Osbourne), but in an understated, Oscars kind of way.

Feel free to Click and enlarge each photo for detailed close-ups.

The following all sported varying shades of a white nail colour, what is sure to be a hot trend this summer:

Jennifer Lawrence - Dior Couture

Jennifer Lawrence, Best Actress winner – Dior Couture gown, Chopard jewelry

Anne Hathaway - Prada

Anne Hathaway, Best Supporting Actress winner – Prada gown, Tiffany & Co. jewelry

Reese Witherspoon - Louis Vuitton

Reese Witherspoon – Louis Vuitton

Olivia Munn - Marchesa

Olivia Munn – Marchesa gown

Probably the overall most popular look –  nude nails in either peach, neutral, or pink tones:

Charlize Theron - Dior Couture

Charlize Theron – Dior Couture gown, Harry Winston jewelry

Amanda Seyfried - Alexander McQueen

Amanda Seyfried – Alexander McQueen gown (love the violet smoky eye makeup!)

Amy Adams - Oscar de la Renta

Amy Adams – Oscar de la Renta gown

Kristen Stewart - Reem Acra Couture

Kristen Stewart – Reem Acra Couture hand-beaded gown

Zoe Saldana - Alexis Mabille Couture

Zoe Saldana – Alexis Mabille Couture gown, Neil Lane jewelry

Jennifer Garner - Gucci Première

Jennifer Garner – Gucci Première gown

Jennifer Aniston - Valentino

Jennifer Aniston – Valentino Haute Couture gown (how stunning is this?)

Sandra Bullock - Elie Saab Couture

Sandra Bullock – Elie Saab Couture gown, Harry Winston jewelry

A few celebrities opted for a modern twist on a neutral nail, by making it pastel:

Naomi Watts - Giorgio Armani

Naomi Watts – Giorgio Armani silver sequin gown

Nicole Kidman - L'Wren Scott

Nicole Kidman – L’Wren Scott sequin gown

Jennifer Hudson - Roberto Cavalli

Jennifer Hudson – Roberto Cavalli gown

The “dagger” nail shape made an appearance as well:

Adele - Jenny Packham

Adele, Best Original Song winner – Jenny Packham gown, Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry

Kelly Osbourne - Tony Ward Couture

Kelly Osbourne – Tony Ward Couture gown, Norman Silverman jewelry (and the lilac hair!)

Channeling a little bit of Oscars magic, golden nail tones were also spotted:

Jessica Chastain - Giorgio Armani

Jessica Chastain – Giorgio Armani gown, vintage Harry Winston diamonds

Jane Fonda - Versace

Jane Fonda – Versace gown, Chopard jewelry (let’s take a moment to admire this incredible woman: still killing it at 75!)

Naturally, there had to be a few red shades as well:

Kelly Rowland - Donna Karan Atelier

Kelly Rowland – Donna Karan Atelier gown

Helena Bonham Carter - Jessica McCormack

Helena Bonham Carter – Jessica McCormack gown

Final thoughts: With very few exceptions, it’s as if every makeup artist in Hollywood read the same memo: flawless complexion, smoky eyes & nude lips, while all the nail techs followed a similar pattern, keeping things low-key with neutral hues. Where things changed up a bit was with hair – but not by much, mind you, as styles fell into one of two camps: sleekly smooth, or a touchable updo. Fashion was also divided, with several stars opting for vivid jewel-tones, while the majority stuck to varying shades of white – but all gowns bore exquisite detail and workmanship. And let’s not forget the jewelry … understated in some cases, jaw-dropping in others. Finally, for me, the crowning moment was watching Adele perform ‘Skyfall’, for which she took home the Oscar for Best Original Song – the first nominated Bond theme to ever do so!

Adele & Oscar

Adele and the new man in her life: Oscar! (and the red pout….)

*Credits

24 Responses to Beauty at the 2013 Oscars

I watched the Oscars this year from the pre-show to the very end, for the first time in ages – it was great! Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain blew me away with their looks, good grief they are stunners!! I also loved the color of Reese’s dress…and a few others definitely caught my eye as well. I’m interested about this nude nail trend, I sort of want to jump on board, as I feel totally *done* with polish lately (I want to wear it, but everything is just kinda ‘meh’ to me), so maybe I need a few weeks with palette cleansing shades to get back in the game!

Or maybe you should go a few weeks without any polish at all; once sandal season starts, I’m betting you’ll be looking at your polishes in a whole new light!

2. princhipi says:

Love your post every year more!

3. I didn’t have a chance to watch the Oscars this year, so I love your recap. :) Jennifer Lawrence looked stunning, and from the clips I saw of her, she strikes me as so delightfully down-to-earth and funny. I loved her in Silver Linings Playbook.

4. MC says:

Great recap! I think this year there wasn’t any big misses and most dresses were beautiful, same with hair and makeup

5. Great recap. I zoomed in close to these photos to see if these celebs were showing their age like me. :) I’m not a Jennifer Lawrence fan, but wow, was she amazing in Dior or what?! And I’m not ashamed to admit that Zoe Saldana had my fave dress of the night. Oh to be young again! Awesome post, as always!

Thanks! :-) I had found some other shots that really zoomed in close, and I must say that while many celebrities looked flawless from every angle, others had literally pounds of foundation on – not my cup of tea! As to fave dresses, I have to say that Jennifer Aniston got my vote – then again, Jennifer Lawrence looked flawless as well! SO hard to pick just one!

Thanks for taking the time to show all these photos! All in all, pretty classy this year and no swan dresses or anything truly horrifying! Agree with the comments about Jane Fonda and the Jennifers – inspirational! That’s how it’s done! And Sally Field was looking great too!

Glad you enjoyed my recap, Linda! Sally Field looked incredible, you’re so right about that! I don’t think I noticed any gown that wasn’t gorgeous – happy to note!

I just loved everything about Jennifer Lawrence – so pretty! I also loved Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Hudson (clearly, it’s the year of Jennifers!) Olivia Munn looked beautiful as well!

Hahahaha! When I was editing my photos, I had the same thought – it’s a Jennifer kind of year all right! Jennifer Lawrence totally stole the show – from her impeccable makeup, hair & gown, to even her endearing tumble up the stairs on her way to receiving her Oscar!

8. Great recap! There were so many fabulous looks last night. I loved Sandra Bullock (minus the purse), Halle Berry, Kerry Washington, and George Clooney’s girlfriend (can never remember her name).

There were tons of amazing looks at the Oscars this year and I had a huge problem in limiting it to what I showed — could have gone on forever, lol! Stacy Kiebler – that’s George Clooney’s girlfriend’s name! Just think of the keebler elves!!! :)

9. I didn’t even notice the nails T_T Just makeup and dresses! Holy cow,thanks for that closeup of Jennifer Aniston’s ring, LOL. That thing is massive! And surprisingly, I like the color of eyeshadow used on Kristen Stewart, though in general I detest her, hahaha. And her hair…what happened? The other standout is Amy Adam’s golden peach flush. So pretty! Who makes that, I wonder?

Quite the chunk she’s got on her ring finger, am I right?! I had the same thought about Kristen Stewart’s hair; then again, she ALWAYS looks a bit on the rumpled/disheveled side, but I do agree about her makeup – loved it! As to Amy Adams, I’d have to do some digging, but I think it may have been CHANEL products used on her – not sure, though.

10. beachgal says:

I should look so good at 60 as Jane F does at 75! Gads! Know she has said she has no issue with the fact she has had plastic surgery here and there to help over the yrs…but she also says it’s important to know when to stop doing it too! I was so jazzed – good LOOOONNNG time friend of mine sang in the mens choir behind Adele last night! He’s short so he was easy to pick out on TV…tho eager to talk to him to see what happened with the sound – he will have seen the VCR of it now and will know how horrible a sound mix was done – the music drowned out Adele – did that on a # of the singers last night.

11. Montreal-Barbara says:

Thanks for posting this! I noticed that the two stars who wore red nail polish wore black and white gowns (perhaps to add a little splash of color to the neutral palette). All in all, everyone dressed in a very elegant, tasteful way – which is fine, but I have to confess that I would occasionally like to see someone bring a little outrageousness and individuality to the Oscars. Who can forget Bjork’s infamous dead swan? Barbra’s Streisand’s sheer black pantsuit? Cher’s over-the-top costumes?

You’re right; I hadn’t noticed that the red polish bearers both wore black & white gowns, lol! While I’m all for experimentation with nail colour choices and makeup looks, I have to say that there are several other award shows where one can get away with such uniqueness; I sort of prefer that the Oscars maintain a more genteel overall look & feel – sort of like respecting it’s historic roots!

12. stylewaffle says:

Think Adele looks amazing! Always love to read about the Oscars….. Thank you :)