Essie – Resort 2013 Collection

Essie Resort 2013 Collection opener

If Essie’s goal is to help banish the winter blahs, then I’d say they’re off to a great start with their Resort 2013 Collection of these four happy & colour saturated hues. With a mix of crème and jelly finishes, as well as a nice selection of brights and/or aquatic tones, these four shades manage to perfectly capture the essence of the warmer weather to come .. which couldn’t be soon enough for me.

Essie Resort 2013 Collection

Essie – Resort 2013 Collection

Under Where – (get it? “underwear”? yes…totally cheesy of me …) a bright lilac hue with pink undertones in a jelly-esque formula, that gives surprisingly good coverage even by the first coat – totally self-levelling and highly glossy at the finish. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

Essie Under Where swatch

Essie – Under Where

Essie Under Where swatch 2

Essie – Under Where

Essie Under Where vs Nice is Nice swatch

Positive that I had at least 1 shade in my collection that would be a near duplicate to ‘Under Where’, I was pleasantly surprised to note that I actually had nothing even remotely like it; I opted to compare it to ‘Nice is Nice’ (reviewed here), although the differences are glaringly obvious.

• index & pinkie fingers: ‘Nice is Nice’ (2 coats) – thinner flow, hybrid crème-jelly formula, lavender toned and more blue based, several degrees lighter overall
  • middle & ring fingers: ‘Under Where’

First Timer – vivid aqua green crème hue with yellowish undertones, in a thicker formula that applied a touch patchy with the first coat, but levelled off completely by the second, becoming fully opaque. Highly colour saturated and almost bordering on neon, there was absolutely no staining upon removal. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

Essie First Timer swatch

Essie – First Timer

Essie First Timer swatch 2

Essie – First Timer

Essie First Timer vs Turquoise & Caicos swatch

While I own basically every green shade that Essie has produced, the only one that came even remotely close was ‘Turquoise & Caicos’, although even that’s a stretch, as can be seen by the swatches.

• index & pinkie fingers: ‘Turquoise & Caicos’ (3 coats) – more muted in tone, blue leaning, sheerer formula and a significantly thinner flow
  • middle & ring fingers: ‘First Timer’

Come Here – electric coral/poppy hue with hot pink undertones – just shy of looking fully neon, in an ultra-pigmented formula that can almost pass as a 1-coater. Perfectly self levelling in application, it bears a nice shine at the finish, although not super glossy. Bonus: non-staining upon removal. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

Essie Come Here swatch

Essie – Come Here

Essie Comer Here swatch 2

Essie – Come Here

Essie Comer Here & comps swatch

I easily found 3 shades in my Essie collection that seemed at first glance to be clones of ‘Come Here’, but I opted to compare it to the 2 closest: ‘Olé Caliente’ (reviewed here), and ‘Flirt’.

• index finger: ‘Olé Caliente’ (2 coats) – sheerer, hybrid crème-jelly formula, a hair lighter & just a touch less vivid in tone
  • middle & pinkie fingers: ‘Come Here’
  • ring finger: ‘Flirt’ (2 coats) – fully pigmented, similar formula although a touch more red/orange leaning, glossiest natural finish

In The Cab-Ana – vibrant Robin’s Egg Blue shade in a crème formula, highly colour saturated, completely self-levelling and with a beautifully glossy finish. Bonus: non-staining upon removal. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

Essie In The Cab-Ana swatch

Essie – In The Cab-Ana

Essie In The Cab-Ana swatch 2

Essie – In The Cab-Ana

Essie In The Cab-Ana vs Where's My Chauffeur swatch

I was convinced that ‘In The Cab-Ana’ was an exact match to ‘Where’s My Chauffeur’ (reviewed here), but swatching the two proved otherwise.

• index & pinkie fingers: ‘Where’s My Chauffeur’ (2 coats) – thinner & slightly sheerer formula, more of a “Tiffany Blue” and bearing greenish undertones
  • middle & ring fingers: ‘In The Cab-Ana’

Final thoughts: I confess to being a bit disappointed when I first beheld these shades, as at first glance none of them seemed that original colour-wise to me. I was also positive that with an Essie collection as extensive as mine, I would own several near-copies of each hue presented, but ‘Come Here’ was the only shade that has a twin (or triplet, in this case). I don’t wear lilac & lavender shades often, but I must admit that ‘Under Where’ is a shade that will suit all skin tones, while ‘First Timer’ is a great way to wear a bright green without coming off as too “Crayola”. My favourite of them all, is hands down ‘In The Cab-Ana’ (that name … *resigned sigh*), and if you missed out on ‘Where’s My Chauffeur’, you definitely need to pick this up. So yeah, no news-breaking colours, but a well-executed little collection, with formulas that are all a pleasure to apply!

The Essie Resort 2013 Collection will be available early April.

Essie Resort 2013 Collection closer

70 Responses to Essie – Resort 2013 Collection

1. Stefani says:

I’m literally painting my nails turquoise & caicos and mine looks nothing like yours! It came out VERY sheer on the first coat and with the second there are still patches where I can kind of see my nails!

Make sure you roll your bottle between your palms to mix the contents – never shake. Also, you can try using a ridge filling basecoat first, which is slightly more opaque and a touch thicker than regular basecoat – it might help with the application. With these types of colours, it’s always best to take your time between coats – give it at least 3-5 minutes each. If none of these tips work, it could very well be that there’s something wrong with your batch – you might want to look into either returning it or exchanging it for a new bottle.

2. Daniele M. says:

All these polishes are in the “biggest” version?

3. DaniGurl says:

Thanks so much for your gorge swatches… I was worried how In The Cab-Ana compared to Where’s my Chauffeur as I’m looking for a perfect aqua to suit my skintone. Speaking of skintones, I love how you incorporate what would be suitable for all complexions (don’t stop that!) being that I’m a medium-dark olive girl that visits your blog religiously lol! ::hugs::

4. icedlacquer says:

Thank you SO much for showing the comparisons! I was immediately thinking they ALL looked like existing Essie polishes. I’m wondering what Under Where looks like compared to Play Date!

No problem! Unfortunately, I don’t own Play Date, so I couldn’t say – sorry!

• I actually just saw this collection at a CVS in LA (Mid-City area). Under Where actually looks really similar to Bond With Whomever from the recent spring collection. Comparing bottles, Under Where definitely had more pinkish tones. The store also had Play Date, which is definitely more of a purple than a light lavender/pink.

The sad thing is that I still haven’t received Essie’s spring 2013 collection, so I couldn’t say for sure how close the 2 shades are. Looking at online photos, Under Where still seems to be more lilac/lavender toned, but I’d need to see them together to be sure.

5. Crystal says:

Could just be my phone but I cant see any difference between Cab-ana and Where’s my Chauffeur, so I think I will pass on Cab-ana but I really want First Timer!
    Is Under Where similar to Play Date at all?

6. julia says:

How do you get the nail polishes before they are released?

7. francoamerica says:

I have to agree with what Jess wrote–not the most original colors (thanks for the comparisons, btw!) but a cohesive collection for spring nonetheless. Although it’s tempting to buy this set, I will be giving some love to the polishes I already own in similar colors.

Essie usually releases 4 shades in their resort collection, but I’ve seen two more shades floating around the internet in press releases for this collection. They are Nice Package (a pink dahlia) and Again?! (a raspberry punch). What gives? Are they exclusives?

You’re right about the other 2 shades; I saw them floating around the internet as well & asked my rep about them – unfortunately, these 2 will not be released in the North American market (I didn’t get an answer as to where they’re exclusive to, but I believe it might be Asia)

• francoamerica says:

Too bad for the rest of us, but lucky Asians! Thank you for that clarification. Keep the great posts coming, I love reading your blog (and drooling over the beautiful photos)!

Thanks once again, Clementine! I do appreciate it!

8. My faves are Come Here and the GORGEOUS In The Cab-Ana! I’m still on a nail polish break but these shades are so perky and immediately uplifting. Thanks for the comparisons, too!

I didn’t go through my entire stash of brands to compare these two, as I figured I had plenty of Essies for that, but there could definitely be a few near-dupes with other brands — that being said, I was seriously impressed with the formula on all of these!

9. Dovey says:

Hi Eugenia, AMAZING swatches, as always! I was a bit surprised at the shades that Essie chose for Resort 2013, but they definitely grew on me—- especially First Time and Come here :-)

Lovely swatches as always, my dear :) I wouldn’t mind having ‘Under Where’ as I just saw a gal wearing a perfectly fab mani in a similar shade, and I only own one lilac shade that’s FAR lighter than this – but otherwise I think I’m good. Still sort of oversaturated with choice right now, my polish purchasing has slowed considerably as of late!

Thanks, Toya! I understand your reasons for not indulging in polishes lately….no reason why you shouldn’t wait for one that really floats your boat!

11. Whoa, those are VIVID. I really like the lilac and the blue. I suspect the green would give me lobster mitts.

But oh! Turquoise & Caicos! Why are you not in my life??

Anything turquoise (as well as THE Turquoise & Caicos), has my name all over it; being a summer baby, I tend to be totally drawn to everything aquatic. Not sure if Essie’s Turquoise & Caicos was re-released, but if I ever do come across an extra bottle of it (or 3) I’ll be happy to grab one for you!

12. mckennaak says:

I know what polishes I want to purchase next! I love seeing your swatches as always!

13. these are so pretty! i’m really liking under where and first timer. how does first timer compare to mojito madness?

Definitely within the same family, but Mojito Madness has a lot more yellow in its base – First Timer is certainly unique! If I get a chance, I’ll try swatching the 2 side by side to further compare

14. Rachael says:

Pretty colours! First Timer looks like such a unique shade. But In The Cab-Ana reminds me of OPI Can’t Find My Czechbook!

You’re so right about First Timer – I don’t have anything like it in my stash, even amongst all the other collections! As to In The Cab-Ana, it comes across as more green tinged beside the OPI and slightly more vivid too – no dupe here either!

15. Mara says:

Really nice colors! I’m so ready for Summer… at least a little Spring!!! I wasn’t very excited when I saw the first promo pics, but they look so much special in your swatches! I think I’ll only pass on the coral one, because I never wear that kind of color… but the rest will totally be mine.
    And yes, I sigh with you at the names LOL

LOL….yes, the names! Essie usually doesn’t do the same cheesy names like OPI does, but I don’t know what happened with these :) They are all really love and will look awesome on you, Mara!

16. kelliegonzo says:

these are amazing! i must have them all :)

17. Jess says:

Maybe not the most unique colours but I love them as a collection…so pretty and cohesive! Lovely swatches! I am SO ready for spring :)

All beautiful! How to pick…the usual dilemma! Is Cab-Ana a dupe for CG – For Audrey?
    Thanks for the great post!

Yes, they are rather lovely, I agree! I opted to compare this collection to other Essies only, but even without swatching & simply comparing bottles, I can tell you that the CG is much more toned down and definitely greener leaning beside the Essie. Therefore, no dupes here!

19. Kim says:

Love Cab Ana! So shiney too, what top coat do you use?? Thank you!!

I have several base & top coats in my rotation and tend to keep brands together ie: Essie with Essie polishes, OPI with OPI polishes, etc. I used Essie’s No Chips Ahead Top Coat for these swatches.

20. Wow I didn’t even know that Essie had ANOTHER spring collection coming out! In the Cab Ana looks lovely… I heart that kind of blue :)

21. prysmatique says:

Under Where is PRETTY <3 I can't wait to see this in the drugstores around me! ALSO Eugenia, I just wanted to compliment the updated blog layout (I haven't commented in a while). I love that the pictures look bigger and the whole website is more welcoming and fresh!

22. These are beautiful and juicy! Essie formulas are never my favorite, but dang, they do creams like no other!

Juicy -yes, they ARE that! :) As to the Essie formula, I’ve actually found that it’s improved since the company was bought by L’Oréal – more consistent creams, no staining issues, and even pastels made less chalky – but that could be just me, lol!

23. Ohhh all of these are amazing!

24. Danisha says:

I,d like them a bit shimmery … It would have been nice

Usually the Bridal and Summer collections have something shimmery; traditionally, the resort collections have been more about a pop of colour!

25. Lovely swatches! Even that the shades aren’t that unique I really like them :)

26. So gorgeous! I need Under Where & Cab-Ana!

27. I’ll be needing First Timer and In The Cab-Ana! I really do love Essie.

28. Yulia says:

I’m not surprised I want In The Cab-Ana, but I’m gonna wait for more comparison, because really, i have way too many robin’s egg blues

I kept my comparisons strictly to other Essie shades for this post – not sure if I’ll compare it to other brands – that might take a long time, lol!

29. Emily says:

Oh man…beautiful swatches (as always!) but I can’t say I find any of the colors particularly exciting or original. My wallet thanks you, and is sighing a breath of relief. ;)

Ahhhhhh! Perfect collection! Need everything! Seriously, “Under Where” is basically the color of my pants, that’s how much I like that color. This collection reminds me of Essie Resort 2010, which brought us Turquoise and Caicos, Lapis of Luxury, Splash of Grenadine, and Playa del Platinum and was the first polish collection I was in LOVE with. Clearly, Essie has my number once again.

31. stefani says:

Love under where and in the cab ana!!really preety

32. Oooooh First Timer is amazing!! Gorgeous swatches!