Essie – Bouncer, It’s Me (Neon 2013 Collection)

Essie Bouncer It's me opener

In my earlier review of the Essie 2013 Neon Collection (here), there was one shade missing, and in my opinion, this elusive beauty is the true star of this grouping. ‘Bouncer, It’s Me’ is an explosive cobalt blue shade, powerful & concentrated and literally had me in thrall from the very first brush stroke.

As with all the previous Essie neons, a base of ‘Blanc’ was used as “underwear”, in order to make the colour really stand out.

The jelly-like formula is a touch sheer leaning with the first coat, although that is quickly taken care of upon application of the 2nd. This shade is both deep and intense and while not day-glo neon, nonetheless bears a rich vividness – applying in a self levelling way and coming to a satin finish. Bonus: no staining upon removal. Coats applied: 3 (thin), plus top coat.

In the last two swatches, I decided to switch things up a bit by attempting my very first dotted mani using all the shades of the Essie 2013 Neon Collection, and I have to say that I’m pretty happy with the results.

Essie Bouncer It's Me

Essie – Bouncer, It’s Me

Essie Bouncer It's Me swatch

Essie – Bouncer, It’s Me

Essie Bouncer It's Me swatch 2

Essie – Bouncer, It’s Me

Essie Bouncer It's Me dotted swatch

Essie – Neon 2013 Collection dotted mani

Essie Bouncer It's Me dotted swatch 2

Essie – Neon 2013 Collection dotted mani

Last word: I can sum things up with one word: adore. yes, I adore this blue and I intend to wear it to death – my only dilemma is whether I want to wear it more as a mani or a pedi? If you get nothing else from this collection, do yourself a favour and snag this beauty as soon as you can, because I have a feeling it will fly off the shelves.

The Essie 2013 Neon Collection will hit stores as of May 1st, but feel free to follow the brand via their website, twitter or facebook for all updates.

Essie Bouncer It's Me closer

*Disclosure: Product sample provided by the company/PR for my unbiased consideration

51 Responses to Essie – Bouncer, It’s Me (Neon 2013 Collection)

1. I should have read this post before purchasing. I simply grabbed the bottle on my way to purchase at CVS without hanging around to read about needing the white polish too. So frustrated right now. Nonetheless, YOUR manicure looks amazing!

Thank you so much! If you already have a white shade at home, then maybe there’s no need for you to worry. The shade works well even without the white underneath, although it does help to add depth to the overall colour.

2. Nicole says:

I bought Butler Please because I loved the idea of a bright cobalt polish but was really disappointed with how poorly the formula went on – do you think this one is any different in that regard? Thanks!

I heard that some people were experiencing issues with application, but I had no problems whatsoever; still, I’d have to say that Bouncer, It’s Me is slightly more vivid and easier to work with – of the two. Hope this helps!

• Saskia says:

Oh really??? I have Butler please and I just love it! Applies like a dream, is a stunning colour like royal blue….. nothing not to like about it for me. Almost finished my bottle, so I have to purchase another one on eBay! Don’t want to do without! And now I’m very curious about Bouncer it’s me, which I ordered…..

3. Rainbow says:

This blue is amazing!

4. rebecca says:

I don’t wear blue nail polish often, but this is a blue I could do! So colorful. I would call it my ‘go big or go home’ color.

Well said, Rebecca, lol! A perfect way to wear something this intense, especially if it’s not one of your usual go-to kind of shades, is as a pedi — something I’m sporting right now, in fact! I get a thrill every time I look down at my feet!

5. Marianna says:

What a wonderfull mirrow shine! Which top-coat is it???

I used Essie’s ‘Good To Go’ Top Coat here!

• Mia says:

I just wanted to say that your blog is the absolute best!!!!!! It’s the first and only place I go to check out Essie’s latest collection. Your nails are stunning and manicure perfection is all I can say:) Also your honest and very detailed description of the colors is spot on!

Thanks YOU, Mia, for such kind words – I appreciate your support and it makes me so happy to hear that you enjoy my reviews! :) :) :)

6. Julie says:

So so pretty, a really nice shade of blue! It´s any close of Nails Inc ´s Baker Street?

I don’t own Baker Street, I’m afraid :( I saw it in Sephora yesterday and from my perspective, the Essie is still several degrees more vivid. Hope this helps!

7. Liza says:

Do you have any idea how ‘Bouncer’ might compare to ‘Miss Pixie’ from the L’Oreal limited edition ‘Miss Candy’ collection? I have ‘Miss Pixie’ and it’s also a really gorgeous, intense blue jelly. I really, really want ‘Bouncer’ too but I haven’t been able to find it yet in my area. If I knew they were dupes, I could rest easy and quit stalking every drugstore within a 10 mile radius :-)

8. Liza says:

This is gorgeous!!! I’ve been stalking every store that carries Essie for a week now, trying to find this. The only display I’ve seen in my area so far is the smaller one that doesn’t include this shade :-( I did pick up the intense blue jelly, Miss Pixie, from the new L’Oreal Miss Candy collection, though, and I really want to see how those two compare. I think they might be close.

To be honest, I don’t own any L’Oréal polishes and neither am I familiar with their shades, but I know that several brands have or are planning to release a similar shade to this. It is gorgeous and so well worth having this colour in one’s collection!

9. Annick says:

Um, HELLO blue! It is beautiful! I’m awaiting (impatiently) for this collection to arrive to my local drugstore so I can buy every single color… pretty much.

10. This is amazing, I can’t stand it!

11. Wow! This blue is VIBRANT! It looks similar to Butler Please which I picked up. Both spectacular blues! I can’t wait to see the Essie Bridal Collection :-)

Love the dotting Eugenia!! I usually am not a huge fan of that kind of nail art, but with this fabulous shade it just looks so fun! I think I need this polish :) Any other dupes you can think of? Like, Nails Inc Baker St etc? Seems there’s a lot of blues like this around…

There are a few dupes off the top of my head, Toya: Essie’s Butler Please from the Winter 2012 Collection, YSL Bleu Majorelle is another. I don’t own Baker Street but looking at it in store, I could immediately tell that it was many degrees lighter and nowhere near as vibrant

13. Cat says:

lovely color! Is it possible for you to do side by side swatches of bouncer it’s me and butler please? Thank you! :)

14. Monica says:

This shade is insane! It’s truly gorgeous and I can’t wait to get. I might have to buy two since this is my favorite color. Your dot mani is really cute. I love it!

15. Marisa says:

Yeah, I’m gonna need this baby in my life!!! Such a gorgeous blue!

16. k k says:

sweet jesus. this is amazing

Great dot mani, Eugenia! I really like your look!

Thanks, Linda! In hindsight, it probably would have been better to use a light base so that the other shades can stand out, but I’m still happy with the way it turned out!

18. Ems says:

Definitely tempted to buy this one then, since I missed Butler Please. It looks so great!

Oooh, very pretty! I am tempted to pick this one up. I skipped Butler Please and then sort of regretted it (although truthfully it was probably the right decision as I had a close dupe).

20. beachgal says:

I have a # of super bright blues similar to this one – curious if this is really a neon it should be matte as most all neons are matte and need a shinny topper to look like the photo here – I prefer ‘em shinny my self – this one looks a lot like the bright blue neon from China Glaze summer 2012 neons. I pretty much am neoned out having more than 35 of them so I vowed long ago this winter when I heard more neons were coming, I would not be picking up anymore. The huge sack I have of ‘em is more that enough for me…but nice they did not go out of style for this summer – so many times they just are goners and I am left with last yrs stuff that looks dated. I am really into the oranges again – like Tangerine Tango lives on vs Emerald this yr.

This has a satin, not matte natural finish – as most neons are prone to, you’re right about that. I have several vivid blue shades as well, and I wish I had the time to do a full comparison of them all but I’m in the middle of a ton of projects – too complicated to pull everything out. As to not going out of fashion, you’re right about that too – neon will still be strong for the summer season ahead!

21. Tamala says:

what about mesmerized? do you have that one?

Yes, I do and it looks faded & dusty beside both Bouncer, It’s Me and & Butler Please — whereas when Mesmerize was first released, it seemed super vivid, but it’s definitely been replaced in that department!

22. Ems says:

This looks like a dupe for Butler Please from the winter 2012 collection. What do you think?

The two are super close, it’s true but ‘Bouncer, It’s Me’ is still a few degrees more vivid & intense. It’s like Butler Please was dialed up a few notches!