essie – Resort 2014 Collection

Essie Resort 2014 opener

Back in October when I was attending the World MasterCard Fashion Week in Toronto (previously reviewed here), I was given Essie’s Resort 2014 Collection for review (but I couldn’t reveal it until now, obviously). While none of these shades initially made me think of a steamy getaway, I have since revised that opinion; they are all absolutely and perfectly curated to represent luxury and vacationing at its finest. Think: a lavish spa in Bali, or a yoga retreat in Costa Rica … maybe even a jaunt to St. Tropez. All of the afore-mentioned would suit me just fine, especially since that damn groundhog just predicted another 6 weeks of Winter. Sigh …

Essie Resort 2014

essie Resort 2014

Essie Resort 2014 B

essie Resort 2014

Find me an Oasis – Before I get into the description, let me say that last year I was obsessed with white, but that was then; 2014 is going to be all about this ‘cloud blue’ shade for me. Icy and utterly clean looking, the first coat applies a touch patchy, but that’s totally resolved by the second layer. Super glossy and the most modern way to wear white, it takes 3 thin coats to achieve a perfect finish – but the end result is so. darn.worth.it.  Coats applied: 3 (thin), plus top coat

Essie Find me an Oasis swatch

essie – Find me an Oasis

Essie Find me an Oasis swatch 2

essie – Find me an Oasis

Resort Fling – A semi-sheer, soft cantaloupe hue in a hybrid crème-jelly formula, that also holds a pink/peachy tint in the base to warm it up. Self-levelling and über-glossy at the finish, I love the slight translucency it gives my nails at 2 coats, although there was still some visible nail line showing (will not show on those with shorter nails). Application could not have been more perfect and buttery smooth – something I’ve never experienced with a lacquer before. Coats applied: 3 (thin), plus top coat

Essie Resort Fling swatch

essie – Resort Fling

Essie Resort Fling swatch 2

essie – Resort Fling

Cocktails & Coco – A sandy nude hue that holds mauve/pink tints in its base, with a finely ground silver & pink shimmer throughout. Semi-sheer but also totally self levelling and with a ridiculously high glossy shine at the finish, I love how this isn’t the ‘invisible’ type of shimmer, but the type that can be seen even away from direct sunlight – but definitely not over the top either. Very ‘café au lait’ in tone, I may have just found my absolutely perfect nude. Coats applied: 3 (thin), plus top coat

Essie Cocktails & Coco swatch

essie – Cocktails & Coco

Essie Cocktails & Coco swatch 2

essie – Cocktails & Coco

Under the Twilight – the deepest indigo crème in an INSANE formula: basically a true 1-coater, self-levelling, high-watt glassy shine and 100% non-staining upon removal. Yes, you read that correctly. There’s a hard to describe, almost dusty quality to this shade (it sounds like an oxymoron, I know, but it’s literally glossy & murky at the same time – at least, in my eyes) and the application almost has that jelly-like feel to it. Really stunning, sexy and a gorgeous alternative to black. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

Essie Under the Twilight swatch

essie – Under the Twilight

Essie Under the Twilight swatch 2

essie – Under the Twilight

I can sum this collection up very easily: back up worthy, each and every shade. With its mix of pale, dark, crème, jelly and shimmer, this capsule collection of just 4 shades are all unique – perhaps not overtly, but take a second look: the ethereal blue tinge of Find me an Oasis, the cushiony tone of Resort Fling in the most wearable orange-y hue ever, the opalescent shimmer of Cocktails & Coco that adds an edge to an otherwise safe neutral, and the mysterious purple depths of Under the Twilight - they all have an understated sophistication to them without sacrifice any fun. Well done, Essie … well done.

The Resort 2014 Collection will be available as of early March 2014 – find more information via:

Essie Resort 2014 closer

58 Responses to essie – Resort 2014 Collection

1. Adi says:

Hi Eugenia, I know I’m a little late but maybe you could help me out… Again ;-)
    How would you say Cocktails & Coco compares to Dior Yacht ?
    It seems like the shimmer in the Essie one is more pronounced but I’m more interested in how they compare in terms of color.
    I swatched Yacht at the counter yesterday and I love it ! It somehow seems to be the perfect nude for my skin tone. The only problem is the price tag and, to be honest I’m not interested in the stickers at all.
    So if Cocktails & Coco has the same shade, I could maybe get this one instead…
    Or maybe you know of another less expensive alternative to Yacht ?
    Thank you as always for your great swatches and your quick responses !

Thanks for the kind words, Adi! With regards to the 2 polishes you mentioned, there are several differences; the Essie is warmer more beige-toned and bears a strong prismatic/silvery shimmer presence, while the Dior is cooler and slightly greyer-toned, with the shimmer present but not all that visible. That Yacht is pricier and comes with stickers (which don’t appeal to you anyway), is unavoidable but I can’t deny the formula – Dior seriously has one of the best formulas out there and I’m a huge fan of their brush. Not sure if this helps at all – it all comes down to budget as both shades are lovely.

• Adi says:

Thank you, Eugenia for your help.
        I totally agree with you about the great Dior formula and I also love the brush.
        I’m probably going to get Yacht after all because I just cannot resist ;-)
        I got Sailor a few month ago without hesitating, but never even thought to try out Yacht or Captain because I though they both looked pretty dupable……
        Even though I have quite a few nudes, I now think yacht is the one I NEED !!!
        Still not sure about Captain… I love it but will have to see how similar it is to Dior Pandore. Do you have that one ? What do you think ?

Sorry for my delayed reply, Adi – I have most of my collection in storage at the moment & had to do a little digging! Yes, I do indeed have Pandore and I can tell you the the 2 are indeed very, very close. The main difference is that Captain is a touch brighter and a couple of degrees more orange leaning versus Pandore. You probably don’t want both as most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference

• Adi says:

Dear Eugenia, thanks so much for getting back to me again after the digging ;-)
        The sad news is that I wanted to buy Yacht today but when I got there, I found out that they pulled out the Dior Transat display over the weekend :-((((((
        I’m kicking myself for not getting it last week but I had no idea it wouldn’t be there for grabbing anymore.
        The down side of living in Tenerife is that you can’t always find everything so I should have known better.
        In my agony, I bought Pandore and 3 more Dior shades instead.
        I have family in Vancouver and they are coming to visit us in 2 weeks time. Do you maybe know of a place in Canada where I can still buy Yacht online and have it shipped to my family in Vancouver so they can bring it with them ?
        As you can see, I am now OBSESSED…

As I am way on the other side of Canada, I’m afraid I’m not going to be much help to you – but you can ask your family to check The Bay, Holt Renfrew, select Shopper’s Drug Mart stores or Sephora. Hope this helps!

• Adi says:

Thank you so much.
        I’ll give it a try.

2. Nastya says:

you have a beautiful manicure, and the colors are very beautiful, I booked myself shade “Find me an oasis”. looked through many blogs and almost all nakresheny not neatly manicured nails.

3. Sarah says:

whats the comparison of Essie Borrowed & Blue (bridal 2011) to Find Me an Oasis. They look identical. Are they? And how does the application compare between the two?

I’m loving Find Me an Oasis but I already own Borrowed & Blue so don’t know if I need to run out and get it. THANKS!

Hi Sarah! Looking at the 2 side by side, you’d swear that they’re basically identical, but a quick swatch shows the differences: Borrowed & Blue is a few degrees darker & more blue – as well as a touch more opaque as a result, while Find Me An Oasis is more of a “whitened” blue and has a much glossier finish. That they’re close, definitely – but identical, no. Hope this helps!

• Sarah says:

That does help! What about the consistency – I find that Borrowed and Blue applies very streaky and goopey (and it actually appears to dry quickly when i apply making it hard to do an even application) is Find Me an Oasis similar – if its not and applies easier then I will 100% be going to make a new purchase :-)

I actually have no problems with Borrowed & Blue’s application (perhaps the batch your bottle is from was at fault, or possibly the base coat you’re using with it isn’t compatible?) but in terms of what I see now, I do prefer the application and overall tone of Find Me An Oasis – no issues at all, and the gloss is fabulous! Then again, I do have a weakness for whites & near-whites!

4. Nail Luxxe says:

Beautifully swatched as always. This is one of my favourite collections, mostly because the colours are all wonderful, but also because I think it really suits the theme. You could imagine wearing any one of these at different points of a vacation

I totally agree! Several people have grumbled that the colours don’t seem that original, but I’m totally loving the amazing formula on each & just wearable they are!

5. Ana says:

Which top coat did you use? This looks soooooooo shiny! It’s stunning!

6. Kadie Lee says:

Well crap…It looks like I need all four!

Yes, yes, yes, yes! I need all 4! Beautiful, as always Eugenia!

8. Veronique says:

Beautiful (as always)!

Under the twilight reminds me No more film, from a resort collection, 2 years ago i think, I wonder if they are different enough to justify the buy!
    That nearly white blue looks wonderful too.

Merci, Veronique! Another reader asked the same thing, and a quick swatch showed that while they’re both deep/dark blue shades, No More Film looks definitely bluer beside the more purple-based tone of Under the Twilight. They are close, but definitely not identical.

9. danishapop says:

Very interesting color combo I have to say!

10. diann_co says:

LOVE!

I love the way these shades look together – all different but somehow harmonize perfectly! For me I think I’m sold on Resort Fling and possibly Find Me an Oasis :) MAN I wish I were going to a resort this year!!!!!!!!

12. dex says:

Well. I was going to get the minis but after looking at your swatches….full sized bottles ahead!

13. Shannon says:

I always love your reviews and swatches! Find Me An Oasis and Under The Twilight – I’m in love!

14. stefani says:

Cocktails & coco is so pretty and i love yor pictures!

15. Eugenia, I always love seeing your collection swatches! I don’t know how many Essies I bought from reading your seasonal reviews, hehe. How does Under the Twilight compare with No More Film? Is it smokier? If I already have No More Film, can I still justify getting Twilight? :D

Lol – glad you liked them & sorry for being an enabler! A quick comparison shows that No More Film is definitely bluer-based than Under the Twilight, which looks like a duskier purple beside it and yes – even a touch smokier; almost makes No More Film look like a “brightened” dark hue when they’re side by side! That they are close, is undoubted – but not duplicates.

16. Chester says:

What a stunning shade Resort Fling is! Definitely my must-have from this collection! :)

Sleeper pick ahead!–I like “Cocktails and Coco” the best. A+ name, first of all, and I’m a super-sucker for subtle shimmer. Definitely a good twist on a nude. Essie “Playa del Platinum” is one of my top nudes–I wonder how the base colors compare? It seems like “Playa del Platinum” might be a little more gray.

As my stash is currently in hibernation (thanks to my never-ending renos), I can’t say for sure but I believe you’re right about Playa del Platinum being greyer and cooler-toned as well. Cocktails & Coco is warmer & creamier looking

18. Montréalaise says:

Your swatches are absolutely perfect, as always! I have got to get Find Me An Oasis – it’s very unique and I don’t have anything like it. BTW, about the groundhogs predicting 6 more weeks of winter instead of an early spring – that brings us to March 16, which here in Montreal IS an early spring (I consider spring to have arrived when the snow has melted, the crocuses are blooming and the robins are back).

Thank you so much, Barbara! Find me an Oasis is truly original (and something tells me that we’re going to see plenty of imitators!). As to Spring in Montréal (where I happen to live as well), you’re right about the timing; I guess it’s wishful thinking on my part, as I’m fed up with Winter!

19. Wow, Under the Twilight is beyond beautiful. I am actually rendered speechless.

20. These r gorgeous! I can’t believe I want all 4! Lol…. and your swatches r AMAZING

21. Annick says:

Wow, these all look gorgeous! Especially that milky blue color – such a fan of those types of colors too! So glad to read this review – I trust your opinion 100% girl! :)

22. Nancy Dines says:

I love each and every one of them. I need them all! :-)
    They do seem unique to me. I don’t think I have a shade of blue quite like that in Find me an oasis.
    I am falling in love with this collection – thanks for giving us great swatches Eugenia!

23. Kristina says:

Im always so excited for your swatches, as I feel they’re some of the best out there and I really appreciate the effort! Ive already ordered the blue and nude and this post has made me even more excited for them! Cant wait!

24. They’re all super pretty!!! Can’t wait to get some. :) Thanks for the swatches!