Essie Spring 2014 Collection with Comparisons

Essie Spring 2014 opener

At first glance, you might be tempted to think that there’s absolutely nothing that unique about Essie’s Spring 2014 Collection, but one swatch of each shade would prove you dead wrong. The six colours shown, are a wonderful representation of the season but yet classic enough to be easily worn throughout the year.

Essie Spring 2014

Essie Spring 2014

Romper Room – a soft petal pink hue that was probably the only fussy one of the entire group, but as I’m 100% addicted to white-leaning shades, Romper Room is so worth the extra effort. As with many pastels, the first coat may apply a touch patchy – I found it easiest to work 3 thin coats with a good wait time in between each for the best results. Final look is self-levelling and highly glossy. Coats applied: 3 (thin), plus top coat

Essie Romper Room swatch

Essie Spring 2014 – Romper Room

Spin the Bottle – a buttery smooth nude with pink tints in the base for a touch of warmth that applyies with amazing coverage: self levelling, non-patchy, and very glossy at the finish. Oh yeah, and my new favourite nude shade. Coats applied: 3 (thin, for photo purposes), plus top coat

Essie Spin the Bottle swatch

Essie Spring 2014 – Spin the Bottle

Fashion Playground – a semi-sheer celadon green hue with ultra-fine silvery shimmer that remains hidden for the most part, but can occasionally flash when it catches the light. I FREAKING LOVE THIS COLOUR. Very retro appearing – think Fender Stratocaster guitar or FireKing mixing bowls, and completely unique in my Essie collection. Coats applied: 3 (thin – that 3rd coat is TOTALLY worth the extra step), plus top coat

Essie Fashion Playground swatch

Essie Spring 2014 – Fashion Playground

Truth or Flare – a semi sheer Wedgewood chine blue shade with a dusty/translucent appeal and in a jelly formula, rendering it totally self-levelling and über-glossy at the finish. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

Essie Truth or Flare swatch

Essie Spring 2014 – Truth or Flare

Hide & Go Chic – a denim blue, hybrid crème-jelly hue so highly colour saturated, that you barely need more than 1 coat for full coverage. Self levelling and ending in a glossy shine, the bonus is that it is also completely non-staining upon removal. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

Essie Hide & Go Chic swatch

Essie Spring 2014 – Hide & Go Chic

Style Hunter – a tropical rich magenta hue in a crème-jelly ultra pigmented hybrid formula with an absolutely superb flow, opacity and application. Self-levelling, ridiculously glossy and non-staining upon removal, this is a colour that will be highly flattering on a broad spectrum of skin tones. Coats applied: 2, plus top coat

Essie STyle Hunter swatch

Essie Spring 2014 – Style Hunter

Essie Spring 2014 comparison nail wheel

The following comparisons are all using Essie shades in tones I found the closest to the Spring 2014 hues – all are 3 coats applied, no base or top coat:

1. Romper Room
  2. Guchi Muchi Puchi – similar tone but slightly bluer based, less opaque than Romper Room
  3. Better Together – warmer toned, peach-tinted, sheerer than Romper Room
  4. Fashion Playground
  5. Absolutely Shore – no shimmer, much paler green but with similar sheerness to Fashion Playground
  6. First Timer – no shimmer, more opaque than Fashion Playground
  7. Truth or Flare
  8. Bikini So Teeny –  silver shimmer throughout and brighter than Truth or Flare
  9. Lapis of Luxury – more blue based but with same dusty tone as Truth or Flare
  10. Coat Azure – densely shimmer packed, bluer and more opaque than Truth or Flare
  11. Spin the Bottle
  12. Not Just a Pretty Face – very similar in tone but much sheerer than Spin the Bottle
  13. Topless and Barefoot – sheer, paler and more beige in tone than Spin the Bottle
  14. Style Hunter
  15. Wife Goes On – crème formula, a brighter pink base and a touch more opaque than Style Hunter
  16. Hide & Go Chic
  17. Mesmerize – brighter and bluer based than Hide & Go Chic
  18. Smooth Sailing – cornflower blue base filled with fine prismatic shimmer and sheerer than Hide & Go Chic

I found something to love about each and every shade of this collection, with Romper Room, Fashion Playground, and Spin the Bottle total standouts for me personally. I can already see Style Hunter as a sandal-worthy pedi shade, and even though the Truth or Flare and Hide & Go Chic will transition beautifully into the cooler months down the road, they are both bright enough to wear now as well.

The Essie Spring 2014 Collection is available now – find more information via:

Essie Spring 2014 closer

26 Responses to Essie Spring 2014 Collection with Comparisons

1. tashasface says:

This collection is great – it really does scream “summer”!

2. Catarina says:

Just love romper room… on your nails! I am pretty sure that this is one of those shades that I will never be able to apply and be happy with the result at the end… I still haven’t overcome my trauma with acrewd interest :).
    Spin the bottle is also very nice, but it looks very similar to China Glaze Nude (maybe just a bit more beige).

I don’t own that China Glaze shade, so I couldn’t say but I can understand your frustration when you speak of polish application issues – not always fun, is it?! Still, might be worth a look – then again, there are several new collections coming up that are guaranteed to pull your interest!

3. Yep, your swatches get me every time, Eugenia! I absolutely LOVE Fashion Playground…on your skintone. I feel ya about the retro vibe, but on me I don’t think it would have the same effect, sadly :( I am also into Spin the Bottle (nudes are having a moment for me) but I’d have to see it in person to know if it’d work on me. Even though I probably have a shade close to it, I can’t help but love Style Hunter as well – yow!

Awww…thanks, Toya! I had a hard time choosing a fave from this collection, that’s for sure! Hope you wind up with at least one of these beauties!

4. demi1121 says:

WOW!! I’ve been checking your site every day for these swatches…well worth the wait…great job! Eugenia, as always, I own and love each and every shade, my favorite two are hide and chic, truth and flare, they compliment my Asain skin really well…looking forward to seeing your swatches of Essie 2014 wedding, love Demi

Thank you for the kind words, Demi – I appreciate it! The Bridal Collection is truly gorgeous – can’t wait to show swatches, but that won’t be until May!

Thanks for the comparison post, Eugenia! I picked up Romper Room (I’m with ya on the white-leaning shades right now!) but haven’t used it yet, so I’m sad to hear it’s not a good application. Lord, when oh when will someone come out with a nice pale pink, nice and smooth, 2-coater?? Gah! LOL

It’s not that Romper Room isn’t a good application; you just need to baby it a bit and not rush it – then, then payoff’s great! But most of us are usually in a rush to apply – in that case, it’s not going to perform to its full potential, that’s for sure. Still, I love the colour so much that I’m willing to overlook its fussiness – for now, until something easier comes along, like you mentioned!

6. Wow! Truth or Flare is ACTUALLY brilliant.

7. Great review! And one that tells me I need the whole collex! I love Truth or Flare and Fashion Playground.

8. alphapaige says:

Pretty swatches!!! I got Fashion Playground and Romper Room, and totally agree with you these two are absolutely stunning (though Romper Room gave me a big headache in terms of application)… I was not into the blues at all, but looking at your swatch of Truth or Flare, I might just be swayed into getting it after all!

Somehow Truth or Flare reminds me of an Essence nail color that you have showed on Instagram before (just the bottle, I do not remember seeing swatches… And I do not remember the color! =| ). Don’t know if you know what I am talking about?? =Þ

Thank you! Romper Room is a bit of a diva, that’s for sure! I saw the essence polish you’re talking about on my Instagram feed and you’re right in that I never posted it, but it’s also way different from the Essie – being much more pigmented, more turquoise-leaning and in a crème formula as opposed to the Essie which has that dusty-translucent quality and more of a jelly.

9. I feel like spring has finally arrived, just looking at your stunning photos and swatches. That nail wheel is EVERYTHING! I do have many similar shades and no longer care about slight differences in tones unless I’m outright obsessed with a colour, but this is a very nicely edited spring collection and makes me feel happy and cheerful. :)

THAT’s IT! These colours make me happy! Like I said, Essie isn’t reinventing the wheel with these shades, but I love how they applied and Fashion Playground is everything I wanted Rescue Beauty’s Fire Queen to be!

10. Hmm…now I didn’t like the look of these the first time I saw them as I thought they looked a bit boring but, once again, you’ve managed to make them all look so lovely. There’s at least 4 that I really like the look of here. Curses. ;)

11. This whole collection is absolutely beautiful! I do have to say that ‘Fashion Playground’ was a huge fail for me, the formula is AWFUL! I use minimal brush strokes and with 3 coats I still wasn’t happy. The rest of the formulas are great but this one isn’t worth the time in my opinion. Gorgeous color but that’s it. Sorry to sound so negative but this is my honest review. :o) Lovely photos as always Eugenia! xo

Thanks so much! So sad to hear you had issues with Fashion Playground; I’ve worn it several times already – both with 2 & 3 coats, and have not had one problem to date. It’s possible the bottle you got came from a bad batch; why not exchange it for another and see if that helps? And never apologize for being honest – we need to know the bad along with the good! ;)