Dior has added to the Rouge Dior family with the recent launch of the Floral Care Lip Balms. Available in 3 finishes (satin, matte & velvet), something tells me that these are about to become my new bff’s, especially now that mask mandates are starting to lift. The fact that they’re also refillable only sweetens the deal, wouldn’t you agree?
Natalie Portman for Rouge Dior Floral Care Lip Balm
There are several points that make these balms stand out; for one, they’re available in 2 finishes (satin and matte for the coloured shades, velvet for the transparent one). Secondly, they’re ‘coloured’ balms — meaning they combine the best of pigmentation + nourishing benefits. The formula is also unique, composed of 95% natural-origin ingredients:
- the base of the formula contains natural-origin waxes and oils as well as shea butter, which provide a nourishing effect that feels weightless on the lips. It is infused with pomegranate flower extract, obtained by an eco-friendly process, which contributes to offer a plumping effect. On smoothed lips, the colour can be expressed more evenly
- the phase containing a subtle dose of pigments to best match the natural colour of lips is infused with an extract of red hibiscus flowers, which helps soothe and protect lips from external stress factors
- the final phase of the formula, born from the unique Dior expertise, adds to its high performance. It is infused with an extract of red peony, the emblematic flower of the line, which helps maintain the natural hydration of lips and enhance their colour, as well as a fig blossom extract for added suppleness and softness
Finally, not only has the packaging been minimized to help offset part of the carbon footprint, but the shades are all refillable and available at a reduced cost. Note that these balms are scented, but it’s an absolutely lovely soft fragrance that seems to dissipate quickly after application (or at least, I don’t notice it anymore once applied).
000 Diornatural Velvet Balm (CAN $49.00) | Relatively transparent, this shade is not only excellent on its own to help deliver continuous nourishment, but its velvet finish makes it the perfect product to layer under lipstick; think of it as a hydrating primer for your lips.
Rouge Dior Floral Care Lip Balm – Satin (CAN $49.00/each) | The satin shades all impart a lustrous sheen and while the pigmentation seen on the lips is not as opaque as that of the bullet, each provides surprisingly good — and buildable — coverage. My lips continue to feel hydrated throughout wear, and even when most of the colour has faded, there’s still a soft stain left behind. The iconic 999 red shade that’s become emblematic of the Dior brand, is also available in a much easier to wear format, thanks to this new balmy texture — perfect for those who want to wear red, but without any major commitment.
Refill: CAN $39.00/each
- 525 Chérie – neutral rose
- 772 Classic – soft rosewood
- 810 Dior Garden – caramel taupe
- 846 Concorde – brick red
- 999 – the iconic true red
Rouge Dior Floral Care Lip Balm – Matte (CAN $49.00/each) | Surprisingly, while these are listed as “matte”, the finish is more velvet-like, and not flat like true mattes can get. Apart from wearing any of these shades on their own, a great tip is to use them as hydrating anchors under lipstick; we all know how drying matte lipsticks can be to wear on their own, but by first applying one of these matte shades underneath your matte lipstick, it not only provides a dose of nourishment, but won’t alter the finish of the lipstick on top.
Refill: CAN $39.00/each
- 100 Nude Look – nude pink
- 200 Terra Bella – milky tea
- 445 Petal – coral beige
- 720 Icône – rosewood
- 742 Solstice – brownish red
- 760 Favorite – raspberry red
- 768 Rosewood – brownish pink
- 820 Jardin Sauvage – milk chocolate
As someone who adores lip balms and the Dior brand in general, you can bet that these have been very well received. Each applies like a dream and are just so comfortable to wear that they are definitely worth the price (still steep for a balm, but the performance is outstanding enough to make up for that). Considering that mask-wearing is soon to become a distant memory (except for certain occasions where I’ll still be wearing mine), these are oh so welcome … and gorgeous, I might add.
Available At Dior counters nationwide
Kindly provided by Dior for my unbiased consideration