Even though my favourite season is summer, I confess that fall beauty offerings make me happy; maybe because it’s the season where we invest in all things cozy, and I’m all about that vibe. OPI’s Muse of Milan Collection for Fall 2020 draws its inspiration from fashion runways (which continue to be virtual, thanks to our new reality), but I’ll happily make do with these gorgeous autumnal shades.
I received the Infinite Shine format (my fave formula), but the collection is also available in both the regular and gel versions as well. The OPI team was also kind enough to send along this yummy butter cookie and while I don’t usually indulge when these types of sweets come in, this cookie was truly outstanding and disappeared in a flash; in fact, I could barely restrain myself from eating it all up before I was done with my shots (Exhibit A at the end of the post, lol)
The collection consists of OPI’s usual 12 shades (CAN $18.00/each), in a mix of crème, shimmer, and even a few exquisite multi-chrome finishes. Every single one applies in an effortless self-levelling way, and the formula has just the right amount of density to provide good coverage from the first stroke. Some of the shimmery shades will require you to apply with a steady hand to avoid streaking, but even those appear to almost smooth themselves out. The deepest hues (Drama At La Scala, Duomo Days, Isola Nights and Complimentary Wine) definitely need a good base coat underneath to avoid potential staining of the nail bed. Feel free to zoom in on the swatch pictures to see the shimmer in more detail.
All swatches below were done with 2 coats of polish, no base or top coats.
- This Color Hits All The High Notes – pearly blue, iridescent shimmer
- Addio Bad Nails, Ciao Great Nails – muted lavender shimmer
- Galleria Vittorio Violet – violet/amethyst shimmer with a pink shift
- Have Your Panettone And Eat It Too – pumpkin crème
- My Italian Is A Little Rusty – soft terracotta crème
- Suzi Talks With Her Hands – concrete grey crème
- Drama At La Scala – deep teal crème
- Duomo Days, Isola Nights – midnight sapphire crème
- Complimentary Wine – velvet burgundy crème
- Fall-ing For Milan – soft bronze with gold shimmer
- OPI Nails The Runway – silver granite with complex shimmer
- Leonardo’s Model Color – twilight purple shimmer with a pink/green shift
I’m actually surprised to find that all 12 shades of this collection appeal to me; that so rarely happens. Without a doubt, the star of the show is Leonardo’s Model Color and with good reason: it’s STELLAR in both formula & colour. I’m also having a moment with both OPI Nails The Runway (it really needs to be seen in person — it’s like liquid silver) and This Color Hits All The High Notes — a shade that not only looks ethereal on its own, but can even be layered over others for a whole new combo. Then there’s all the luscious velvety crèmes … le swoon. To sum up, you really can’t go wrong with any of the shades here. Bravissimo, OPI!
Available at The Bay & select salons nationwide
Kindly provided by OPI for my unbiased consideration